I just found out a sex offender lives in my neighborhood, why was I not notified?
There are a few reasons this can occur:
- Offender’s classification is not one that allows public notification.
- You live outside of the one thousand foot notification radius.
- The offenders crime occurred prior to July 1st 1997.
- Notifications were sent out prior to you moving into the neighborhood.
I know of a sex offender who is not on your website. Why not?
- Only persons convicted of a sexual offense after July 1st 1997 or those still in state custody at that time are required to register. If the person had been charged with a sex offense and had completed their sentence prior to the above date they are not required to register.
- The persons registration requirement had expired.
Can the offender be around children? Schools?
Unless the offender is court ordered or currently on a form of community control (i.e. probation or parole) and the conditions of that control prohibits it , the offender has the same rights as any other citizen.
Are sex offenders allowed to live within 1,000 feet of a school, day care, or preschool?
No offender can live within 1000 feet (1/5 mile) of a school or daycare/preschool center – this is determined when the offender committed their crime. If they were convicted of their crime prior to the law taking effect – they are exempt.
Crime(s) committed prior to July 31, 2003 would be EXEMPT from the SCHOOL STATUTE.
Crime(s) committed prior to July 1, 2007 would be EXEMPT from the DAY CARE/PRESCHOOL STATUTE.
Are their restrictions on where offenders can work?
There are no restrictions on their employment; exception would be if the offender is on parole or probation and said conditions are set.